If you love learning about cultures and customs and meeting new people while experiencing new flavours, then you may be wondering how to achieve such guaranteed fun. In such a case, there is good news! All of this and more is what you will find in Notting Hill Carnival, one of the most exciting and colourful events worldwide surpassed in size only by Rio Carnival.
If interested in the chance of experiencing an extraordinary adventure during two exciting days find out more at Carnivaland – your ultimate online guide to Carnival Celebrations around the world!
What does Notting Hill Carnival celebrate?
When summer comes to an end the streets of London fill with joy and glitter everywhere because carnival arrives! This tradition dates back more than 50 years ago as a way of linking up the multicultural community of Notting Hill. This event continues today as a meeting point for all sorts of people.
Every year over two million people attend this two-day carnival arranged by the Afro-Caribbean community of London. Unity and cultural diversity meet into the most chaotic and colourful party in Europe.
What you will find in Notting Hill Carnival 2019
Notting Hill Carnival 2019 dates will be Sunday, 25th August and Monday, 26th August. During these days you will see huge crowds, lots of exotic food, Caribbean music and non-stop dancing as well as the celebration of Caribbean Culture travelling around west London W10 that covers Notting Hill, Ladbroke Grove and Westbourne Park. Entertainment guaranteed that stretches over 30 kilometres of west London’s streets.
The party officially starts with a steel band music competition on Saturday evening before the parade days. Sunday is the family friendly day enliven with a children’s parade. Being Monday the big day of partying when the main parade occurs.
– About 50,000 performers will parade in Notting Hill Carnival
– Over 70 performing stages are set up to host live music and DJs
– 40 static street sound-systems are set up all over West London
– 10 steelpan bands will perform
– Around 16,000 records will be played during carnival
It is definitely, a major event that you can’t afford to miss: colourful costumes, dancers, masquerades, floats, live music from the biggest sound systems and food stands filled with delicious traditional Caribbean food. Everything planned to make sure it is the best time of your life!
What makes this event special and unique
- Colourful Carnival Costumes
Grey days are coloured by an explosion of vibrant colours from extravagant costumes worn by performers.
Following the tradition of the Caribbean carnival outfits: bright colours, feathers, diamantes, masks, glitter and sparkles, Notting Hill is brought to life leaving nobody indifferent.
Join the carnival fever and go for creative and wacky outfits that represents you!
- Mouth-Watering Caribbean Foods and Drinks
Awaken your senses with exotic aromas and tasty food and drinks from over 300 Caribbean and West Indian vendors located in every corner.
- Schedule for the event
Saturday 24th August 2019
A live steel band music competition that takes place between 6-10pm at Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance Park is the opening of the carnival. This competition is also known as ‘Panorama’ and it is one of the largest steel band competitions outside of the Caribbean.
Sunday 25th August 2019
The Children’s Parade takes place at 9am attracting large crowds. Not only that but also, there is a wide range of family friendly activities.
That same day, J’Ouvert a tradition inherited from Trinidad and Tobago Carnival, occurs. If you want to experience how a traditional Caribbean Carnival opens then you must get up early on Sunday morning, being able to see the parade marching through west London with steel bands and African drummers.
Monday 26th August 2019
After lots of preparation, finally the big day arrived! Two million people head to the west London suburb of Notting Hill for partying.
The Notting Hill Grand Parade starts at 8am on Great Western Road and finishes on Ladbroke Grove at 8.30pm.
– 60 bands
– 100 elaborately decorated floats
– Thousands of costumed dancers
There is plenty of leisure options, great ease to get to Notting Hill by public transport due to many road closures and the opportunity to go after-party all over London once the Grand Parade finishes in the early evening. As you can see this a golden opportunity to try new experiences so don’t delay and check some accommodation options in Carnivaland!
- The local Put-in-Bay Visitors & Convention Bureau can assist you before, during, and after your visit. We welcome you to put an island in your life and enjoy all the Lake Erie Island has to offer.
- Ohio Put in Bay, Ohio—the Key West of the Midwest—has a long and colorful history. From prehistoric settlement to present-day destination, where food, fun and sun await, there’s something here for everyone.
- The Official Put-in-Bay Visitors & Convention Bureau in Put-in-Bay, Ohio has tailored this website as a tourist information center to provide you with all of the necessary information for planning your trip to our little Ohio Island, from hotels & resorts and home rentals to reserving your golf cart before you arrive.
- Put In Bay Golf Carts offers the island largest and newest fleet of golf carts including EZ-GO, Yamaha & Club Car quality golf carts seating 2-4-6 & 8 passengers.